Friday, August 15, 2014

Signing off from Swaziland

Sanibonani.

So, this is it. We leave on the first khumbi for Johannesburg in the morning, and we'll say goodbye to Swaziland for now.

I can't explain how I feel. These weeks have been full of goodbyes and tears (mostly mine). They've been full of gifts and dancing and singing and eating meat. They've been full of packing and planning and printing and playing. I have a brand-new niece to meet when I get home, so these weeks have been full of excitement for that as well.

It's all just too much.

Two years ago, Jack and I embarked on what we knew would be an amazing adventure. He had no idea what his immediate future would hold (get his eloquent final thoughts here). I was more aware of what I was getting into, but Peace Corps Swaziland was still more abstract concept than concrete reality.

Now I'm walking away. I leave a kind and welcoming family behind, as well as a core group of amazing friends in my community. I leave a club of great girls who I know will become strong women. I leave a support group with at least the beginnings of a community garden. And I leave a piece of myself.

I take a piece of Swaziland with me.

I hope that when I'm stressed out about life or sad about a loss, I remember my host dad's favorite words: "Life is just like that."

I hope that when I'm feeling sorry for myself, I remember the astonishing women I've met who bear up under the challenges of difficult marriages, abuse, HIV and oppression. I smiled, screamed and danced alongside them. Together they were stronger than any one alone.

I hope that when I'm struggling to reintegrate into the fast pace of American life, I remember to walk slowly when it's hot and nap under a tree in the afternoon.

And I hope that when I'm frustrated with Americans and the way we talk about and treat this continent and its people, I have compassion and patience.

I'm so very, very glad I served here. I'm so happy and lucky (SO lucky) that Jack was willing to move half a world away to share this experience. I am thrilled to enter our future together.

Thank you to everyone for your support and kind words. I'll see you in America on Sept. 28.

Salani kahle (stay well).

No comments:

Post a Comment